Over the years HOPE Cape Town established nutrition programmes in various communities.
- Cooking lessons where mothers are taught how to cook healthy food for their children and themselves.
- Food preservation: Community members are taught how to preserve fruit and vegetables that are in season, for later use or to generate an income.
- Community Gardens: Communities are assisted to establish vegetable gardens by teaching selected community members how to grow and maintain a vegetable garden. The vegetables from these community gardens can be used to feed vulnerable children.
HOPE Cape Town contracts a registered dietician at times to host workshops for caregivers of children in the communities where they live.
The objectives of the nutrition program are:
- Promoting better eating habits to optimise nutritional intake of all nutrients
- Enhance quality of life through health and nutrition promotion
- Promote appropriate foods for individual circumstances and reduce food insecurity
- Provide education on how to prevent weight loss during illness
- Promote and advise on breastfeeding